Health and Fitness @TheGym
Sporting Wheelies and Disabled Association has been helping people with a disability to maximise their health and fitness since we opened our first gym in Brisbane in 1985.
The benefits of exercise for people with a disability – as for everyone in the community – include increased fitness, better muscle strength, and improved coordination and balance. Exercise can also help prevent injury, decrease stress and improve overall quality of life.
The Association operates a fully accessible, inclusive fitness and rehabilitation facility @TheGym, at our Brisbane headquarters at 60 Edmondstone Road, Bowen Hills.
Our friendly, experienced staff are highly qualified Accredited Exercise Physiologists (AEPs), registered with Exercise and Sports Science Australia (ESSA) (click here to find out more about Exercise Physiology), and registered providers for private health claims and Medicare Chronic Disease Management (CDM) plan referrals.
Monday, Wednesday, Friday: 8:00am – 6:00pm
Tuesday, Thursday: 7:00am – 6.30pm
Saturday: 8:00am – 12:00pm (noon)
Exercise Physiology services by appointment:
Monday-Saturday: from 8am
- Activity Based Therapy and Locomotor Training (NeuroMoves)
- Functional Health – Exercise Physiology
- Functional Electrical Stimulation (FES) Cycle
- Fitness Builder – Exercise Physiology
- Fit Together (Group Class) – Exercise Physiology
- Personal Training – One on One or Group Class
Individual Flexible Participation
- Gym Admission
- Fitness Assessment and Program Design
- Low fees
- Inclusive, accessible fitness and rehabilitation facility
- Open to everyone
- Disability parking
- EFTPOS and HICAPS available
- Close to public transport – Bowen Hills train station and bus stops on Edmondstone Road (306, 322, 393) and Abbotsford Road (301, 315, 320)
- Member discounts at Di Bella Coffee Bowen Hills (82 Abbotsford Rd) to get you motivated before or relax after your gym session – grab a member card from The Gym reception desk
Terms and conditions of gym patronage
- Clients are required to become a member of Sporting Wheelies and Disabled Association
- Bookings are required for all services other than general gym admission
- A 50% cancellation fee is charged if a session cancelled within 24 hours of the appointment