Fitness and rehabilitation
Sporting Wheelies and Disabled Association has been helping people with a disability to maximise their health and fitness since we opened our first gym in Brisbane in 1985.
The benefits of exercise for people with a disability – as for everyone in the community – include increased fitness, better muscle strength, and improved coordination and balance. Exercise can also help prevent injury, decrease stress and improve overall quality of life.
The Association operates a fully accessible, inclusive fitness and rehabilitation facility, The Gym, at our Bowen Hills headquarters in Brisbane.
- Exercise-based rehabilitation program (NeuroMoves) – an intensive one-on-one program designed to maximise functional recovery and independence of people with neurological/musculoskeletal conditions eg. spinal cord injury, acquired brain injury, stroke, cerebral palsy
- Fitness assessment and exercise programming service for people wanting help to design an exercise program that suits their abilities and fitness goals (external gym and home programs available)
- Personal training service for added support and motivation
- On-site remedial massage therapy service
- On-site dietetics and nutrition service
- On-site physiotherapy service
- Advisory service for Association members outside Brisbane eg. we can provide advice to help identify a suitable gym in your area, tailor an existing exercise program to suit the available equipment, or provide ideas regarding suitable equipment
- Inclusive fitness education and consulting service, including workshops on inclusive fitness principles and practical tips